Financial modeling, monetisation, and business development in SME and early-stage growth business environments.
Executing product and service monetisation strategies. Accordingly, originating, structuring, and delivering strategic sales and commercial initiatives.
I have been working in the online and digital industry for the past 20+ years across a number of different businesses and industries. My passion is in early-stage development, and supporting founder teams taking the initial origination and development of their financial model, business assumptions, and key metrics through to operational execution. My strengths are in strategic business development, building models, and CFO support, along with providing investor and c-level communication and progress updates to enable effective decision making.
I leverage my experience as a qualified Chartered Accountant, and the time which I have spent working in the SME space in diverse banking, financial and corporate advisory roles focused on monetisation and growth. I bring a turnkey business, financial and commercial understanding of the economics that impact digital business models, and in my relationship with a founding team always aim to provide insightful and strategic feedback and analysis.
Strengths and deliverables
I am passionate about Strategic Commercial Development and focused on reinventing the deliverable from a sales-driven function to one of commercial and financial monetisation. My focus is on working with business leaders and executive management to originate and execute commercial monetisation strategies. To facilitate this necessitates developing a robust commercial and sales strategy and identifying key business metrics. To execute in this regard I have a broad range of experience in sales, commercial modeling, and business development.
As a Chartered Accountant, I focus on enhancing financial performance, in-depth operational analysis, and cash flow optimisation. Specifically, I enjoy working alongside and in support of business owners, management teams, and investors.
Successful client deliverables include.
- Origination, Implementation, and Execution of detailed business plan & financial model, metrics & assumptions to inform the business strategy for a new venture
Strategic CFO and Business Development advisor to the executive team of Renergen Limited. | www.renergen.co.za
- I managed the execution of all Johannesburg Stock Exchange (“JSE”) listing requirements. Notably, compiling regulatory, compliance, and pre-listing financial information in collaboration with the listing attorneys and reporting accountants.
- I facilitated the investor roadshow and the execution of a successful capital raising. Including, the preparation of a financial due-diligence pack in concert with the CEO. Consequently, we launched, Renergen Limited on the JSE.
- I was responsible for overseeing all aspects of the interim CFO function leading up to and post the JSE listing.
Strategic Business Advisor and board director Amalgamated Electronic Corporation Limited | www.amecor.com
- I was responsible for executing the buy-out of a controlling equity stake by an investor consortium that I introduced to the transaction. Additionally, my mandate included structuring and implementing the commercial transaction on behalf of the investor consortium. In particular, negotiating a securitised debt facility and mezzanine funding.
- My duties as a Non-Executive board director covered sharing strategic financial and commercial insights with the CEO and management team.
- Together with, the CEO’s input, I restructured the financial function, recruiting a commercial CFO to join the board.
- I contributed to the financial and business development strategy focused on driving increased product monetisation.
Strategic Commercial Development reporting to the CEO and COO of Avacare health | www.avacarehealth.com
- I supported the Chief Operating Officer of Avacare in developing a corporate development strategy. Chiefly, strategising financial performance metrics and benchmarks. This included the setting of objectives and key results (OKR’s) for his teams to evaluate and measure team deliverables.
- A key deliverable of mine involved advising on enhancing growth in Gross Margin. Coupled with, the implementation of a commercial development strategy.
- I further assisted the COO to develop meaningful reporting structures both to the board and management team covering operational performance across multiple countries and group entities,
Monetisation | Strategic Commercial development.
I have developed a number of core strengths in my role as a Chartered Accountant CA(SA) focused on delivering monetisation strategies for management teams and small business owners. Namely, setting and measuring Objectives and Key Results (OKR’s) to align deliverables and to motivate team performance. In addition, setting Key Performance Measures (KPI’s) to analyse financial outcomes. Equally important, I have honed my knowledge of cash management strategies to optimise growth. Moreover, through my various engagements, I have acquired a solid appreciation for the liquidity and commercial challenges faced by growth businesses.
Understanding the economics and metrics that drive digital business
For an inspiring and highly insightful course, I recommend digital-business-strategy-online-short-course
I believe, my stand-out value add is as a creative problem solver and out-of-the-box thinker. Together with, a passion for the digital platform and SAAS landscape. Furthermore, I excel in originating commercial opportunities and redesigning business processes. Specifically, to accelerate sustainable growth in revenue and cash flow.
Interactions and personal development
My inspiration comes from working in teams that encourage a voice for all members irrespective of their role or title. In this regard, I enjoy interactions across business functions as well as with 3rd party providers and customers. Consequently, I aspire to a culture that advocates, trust, inclusivity, collaboration, and learning from failure.
For additional learnings and insights gained www.cliveangel/learnings